I'm an entrepreneurial business leader with 15+ years of experience leading cross-functional teams in fast-paced environments, including expertise in financial planning & analysis, private equity & venture capital, investor relations, and corporate development. As an operator and investor, I'm interested in building profitable digital businesses with engaging content, communities, and experiences.
- Highly skilled in Financial Modeling, Financial Planning & Analysis, Mergers & Acquisitions, Fundraising & IR (Angel, Venture Capital, Private Equity)
Founder & CFOCarLotz (Richmond, VA)
2011 - 2020
Founded retail automotive company that is disrupting the used vehicle market with its innovative consignment model.
- Grew company from idea on paper to nationwide omnichannel organization with 150+ employees and over $100 million in annual revenue.
- Guided company through five rounds of investment capital to fund launch and expansion – including angel, seed, corporate, private equity, and specialty automotive financing
- Led company’s finance operations (fundraising, modeling, budgeting, reporting, analysis, investor relations, tax & compliance); insurance & risk management program; and employee benefits & payroll functions.
- Led corporate marketing efforts, including strategy, branding, website design, creative development, public relations, digital marketing, lead generation and management, and partnerships.
- Won EY’s Entrepreneur of the Year award for the Mid-Atlantic Region in 2019. Named to Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in 2018 (#460 with 1,107% growth) and 2019 (#435 with 1,044% growth). Won Richmond Chamber of Commerce 2017 Small Business of the Year.
VP of Finance & OperationsSageworks/Abrigo (Raleigh, NC)
2009 - 2011
Oversaw finance, operations, recruiting, and human resources at the rapidly growing financial technology company.
- Led finance function, including budget setting, financial modeling, and reporting. Generated 10% savings in general and administrative expenses through expense reduction plan.
- Managed legal and administrative issues, internal controls, purchasing, and corporate real estate. Created corporate policies and procedures to secure company’s first Type II SAS 70 audit report.
- Led hiring efforts across sales, marketing, management, and product development. Hired 50 employees during high growth period in 2010.
- Developed new compensation plans that better aligned employee incentives with new corporate strategy, launched bi-annual corporate retreats and employee feedback program that improved engagement and morale during period of intense change, and developed first formal onboarding and offboarding procedures to ensure employee experience was consistent with company objectives and cultural values.
Private Equity AssociateOlympus Partners (Stamford, CT)
2005 - 2007
Executed leveraged buyouts at the private equity fund focused on consumer, business, and financial service industries.
- Marketed Olympus as a value-added partner to investment targets through communication with senior company leaders, investment bankers, accounting firms, and business brokers.
- Conducted business and industry due diligence on new investment opportunities, created operating and financial models, and presented key findings and investment recommendations to General Partnership.
- Led transaction teams of accountants, lenders, and other service providers during due diligence processes for potential acquisitions. Worked closely with legal counsel in preparing contracts.
- Executed $155 million acquisition of 95 Chili’s Grill & Bar restaurants.
- Developed marketing materials for the raising of the firm’s $1.5 billion fund. Managed internal rate of return model to monitor performance and communicate with investors.
Investment Banking AnalystHarris Williams & Co. (Richmond, VA)
2003 - 2005
Provided merger and acquisition advisory services across a variety of industries at the middle market investment bank.
- Conducted company analyses and market due diligence, collaborated with senior management to develop financial projections, drafted offering memoranda, and prepared management for investor meetings.
- Completed $250 million sale of recreational vehicle retailer, $225 million sale of medical transcription services provider, $125 million sale of residential construction services firm, $110 million sale of orthopedic device manufacturer, and $45 million sale of fishing line manufacturer.
2007 - 2009
Elected Chairman of The Harbus student newspaper; edited and published 65 Successful Harvard Business School Application Essays, generating $100k+ in proceeds.
1999 - 2003
Selected Director of Big Siblings Program, a volunteer group that matches students with children in need of positive mentoring relationships.
Leverage network to help Foundation develop relationships with individuals and businesses that provide financial and volunteer support. As Fundraising Chair, oversee fundraising efforts, generating $1.8 million in 2019 proceeds.
Completed 11 full marathons - including world majors Boston, NYC, and Chicago - with personal best time of 2:41:25.